Linux-Hardware Digest #143, Volume #9             Sat, 9 Jan 99 19:13:53 EST

Contents:
  wmppp problem. Can't give permissions so all users can use dial out. ("Gary J
Sanderson")
  Re: Tape drive recommendations (John Cochran)
  Re: Linux drivers for Canopus TOTAL 3D ... 128? (Bjorn Lindstrom)
  Re: Ethernet card recommendation--urgent (Wenshui Gan)
  Re: Can I use the IDE on my sound card with a 486
  Re: Linux-compatible hardware vendor (Joe Bloggs)
  Re: Compiling kernel w/ AMD K62-350 (Harry McGregor)
  Diamond Rio PMP 300
  Re: Modem (Rockwell 56.6 PCI data/fax) probs (Rob Clark)
  Linux and ESDI? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Linux and Wang PC 382? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Which CPU to upgrade to?
  Linux-Router =?iso-8859-1?Q?h=E4ngt?= sich auf (Felix Schreiber)
  Re: fastest video card supported by redhat 5.2? (Oded Arbel)
  Re: HP DeskJet 8xx: Linux Compatible? (Eric Sokolowsky)
  How good is the TNT in linux? (was Re: Drivers for Riva TNT) (Nicholas Lee)
  Re: RedHat 5.2 - Modem Issues (M. Buchenrieder)
  Re: SIS video board - Yes, Supported in XFree86 3.3.3 ("Ken McCord")
  New Hardware Resource (Mark Griskey)
  Re: Internal K56Flex/V.90 internal modems (Jerry Lapham)
  Re: SIS video board - Yes, Supported in XFree86 3.3.3 ("Ken McCord")
  Support for Montego? (Henrik Karlsson)
  Re: SIS video board (Shane Bearham)

From: "Gary J Sanderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: wmppp problem. Can't give permissions so all users can use dial out.
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 22:28:48 -0000

Having configured wmppp correctly so that it works in root, I then tried to
enter the commands listed in the HINTS (I think it was that one) file to
give permissions to all users. I entered the chmod 666 /dev/cua2 one ok and
then entered the chown command and it returned the following error;

chown: pppd: No such file or directory.

I realise its prolly a simple problem but I'm very newbie and can't sus why
this has come up.

Please help...  Gary.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Cochran)
Subject: Re: Tape drive recommendations
Date: 8 Jan 1999 17:17:55 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Yan Seiner  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am about to make the swap from NT server to Linux now that samba 2.0
>is almost out.
>
>I am going to take this opportunity to replace our somewhat unreliable
>tape drive (a seagate TR-4) with something that has larger capacity and
>significantly more reliability.  The seagate drive has been replaced
>twice in two years; the TR-4 tapes run about a 30% failures per year.
>
>I am looking for a tape drive with at least 10GB uncompressed.  Speed is
>not really an issue as long as it can back up and verify 10GB in 4-6
>hours or less.
>
>I also need recommendations for backup software.  The system will only
>backup the local drives.  It will not backup across a network.
>
>I am running RH 5.1, on a p5-166 w/ 64MB RAM (not exactly a screamer,
>but it gets the job done ;-).
>
>Yan

If you have a SCSI controller, I'd suggest getting a DAT tape drive using
DDS-3 (12 Gig uncompressed). I have on my computer a HP model C1537A tape
drive that I'm using for daily backups and I haven't had any problems. My
backup requirements are modest so for software, I'm simply using a small
script that invokes tar and backs up all of my local drives with the
exception of /tmp and /dev.

Hope this helps,
John Cochran

comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 14:49:58 -0800
From: Bjorn Lindstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux drivers for Canopus TOTAL 3D ... 128?

Are you referring to the Total3D 128?  If so, it does work ... use the
RIVA128 drivers.  Works well enough for me!  I'm also running RH5.2

Bjorn

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Billy Bob wrote:

>I know that Red Hat linux 5.2 supports Diamond viper 330 with RIVA
>chipset.
>Howcome it doesn't support the canopus TOTAL 3D with the same RIVA
>chipset???   I paid US $ 230 for this card and Linux doesn't suppport it
>??
>why ? why ? why?  :-(

Bjorn Lindstrom

http://www.realitynet.com/bnk
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (home)
Hjartagold (Aol Instant Messenger)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wenshui Gan)
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.networking,redhat.networking.general,iu.linux
Subject: Re: Ethernet card recommendation--urgent
Date: 8 Jan 1999 22:47:00 GMT

I have been using an Intel pro 10/100b card with Linux at work for more than a
year.  I works well for me.  I haven't seen any problems.

Wenshui

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Can I use the IDE on my sound card with a 486
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 14:54:04 -0600

Depends on the card, but in most cases you can. I had an old MediaVision
PAS16 with and LMSI CD interface ... it worked okay on my first Linux box
... for 2x CD!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joe Bloggs)
Subject: Re: Linux-compatible hardware vendor
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 14:37:55 GMT

On Tue, 05 Jan 1999 20:00:13 -0500, Alex Parfenov
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi,
>I am looking to build several  Linux-based servers. I would like any
>recommendations on reliable hardware vendor, and if I should build my
>own boxes or purchase ready-to-go servers. I am especially interested in
>hardware reliability, warranty, onsite support, etc.
>Thanks in advance

Corel (of the wordperfect & draw fame) are producing pre-installed
Linux machines either now or in the near future

might be of interest

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harry McGregor)
Subject: Re: Compiling kernel w/ AMD K62-350
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 21:21:43 GMT

For the 2.2.x kernels I know you compile as Pro/K6/etc for the 2.0.xx
I would compile as pentium just to be safe (I have done this numerous
times on my K6-2).

                        Harry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Diamond Rio PMP 300
Date: 9 Jan 1999 14:14:55 GMT

Hi,

Is there someone out there developing linux drivers for this cool little
device from diamond??

I'm looking for some datasheets or people who are already working on
drivers for it...

If you can help me on getting these informations or if you have some
ideas please tell me...

I want to create a little driver which runs in the user-space like the
palmpilot sync tools and don't work in the linux-kernel...

thanks for your help,
  gerhard

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Modem (Rockwell 56.6 PCI data/fax) probs
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 21:31:12 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Dave Rodgman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>The modem appears to be completely dead. I have tried echoing commands to
>/dev/modem and /dev/cua3, but nothing happens. It works fine under
>Windows... albeit with a terrible ping. Does anyone know if I've been sold a
>rebranded winmodem, or maybe have some suggestions?

You probably have a Winmodem.  The only PCI 56K hardware modem I know of
has a Lucent chipset.  Rockwell only makes chips- not finished modems.  Do
you know the manufacturer or do you have any identifying numbers?

Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux and ESDI?
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 15:08:10 GMT

I'm wondering if any of the Linux flavors support the Ultrastor 12f/32 ESDI
controller? This is a 16bit ISA card with a small onboard cache. It has worked
for me under DOS, Windows 3.1, and Windows95. The latter using the standard
IDE/ESDI driver that MS ships. I'm currently using this card in both an AMD
386/40 machine running Win 3.1 and an AMD 586 machine running Win95. I would
like to move both over to Linux ..

I've seen discussion about Redhat supporting the Ultrastor 14, but that is a
SCSI controller.

Thanks for the help!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux and Wang PC 382?
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 15:10:31 GMT

I have a couple Wang PC 382 machines that are collecting dust in storage at my
office. I don't know much about these machines at all, other than they are 386
based and possibly do not even support msDOS?? In any case, I'm hoping someone
has had experience trying to get these beasts up and running with Linux ..

Any help GREATLY appreciated!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Which CPU to upgrade to?
Date: 9 Jan 1999 19:47:37 GMT

On 9 Jan 1999 17:22:31 GMT,
Christopher B. Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 09 Jan 1999 15:32:41 +0000, James Youngman
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Taylor) writes:
>>
>>> I have a Intel Pentium 90 on a Intel Neptune mb that I bought 3 or 4 years
>>> ago.  I want to upgrade the CPU w/o swapping out the motherboard.  Which CPU
>>> should I upgrade to?  I am interested in hearing about Intel, AMD, and Cyrix
>>> (or any others) upgrades.  Also, I will be exclusively running Linux 2.0.36
>>> and Linux 2.2 (when it comes out).
>>>
>>> Which is the most bang for the buck?  Are there any to stay away from? etc,
>>> etc.
>>
>>I'm considering getting a WinChip.
>
>Almost certainly the cheapest option at this time.
>
>That's not necessarily the "most bang for the buck;" WinChips appear to be
>the "wimpiest" of the processors presently in active production.  Cyrix
>seems likely to be in the same boat; they are going after "cheap boxes"
>these days.
>
>AMD is a "middle of the road" option; they have the fastest Socket 7 chips,
>which means that you get to keep your motherboard, probably.

No he can't, Neptune is a Pre Triton I board and Triton I was a socket 5. That
means you cannot use dual-volatage chips (ie: most MMX). IDT C6 (winchip) will
work with single voltage socket 5 but it might require clock multiplier of 3x.
Their documentation is unclear on the issue of clock multipliers, it almost
seems like the are using a fixed multiplier with the bus clock but I'm not sure.

In any case I would recommend getting a Super7 board (fic-503+) and amd k6-2.
You can probably get a 350mhz setup for <200$ and it'll be FAST. BTW, you will
be able to use your old memory and with 1! mb. or L2 it will really move.

>Intel is a poor choice; their latest stuff *requires* a motherboard upgrade.
>
>AMD, Cyrix, and IDT all sell CPUs pretty cheaply; for a bias to the "I want
>a pretty powerful CPU" side, look at AMD.  "Cheap, cheap, cheap" means
>flipping a coin and picking between IDT and Cyrix...

Cyrix will not work either. His choice is C6/200 with current board or a new
MOBO.

------------------------------

From: Felix Schreiber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: de.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Linux-Router =?iso-8859-1?Q?h=E4ngt?= sich auf
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 16:49:39 +0100

Dabei hat alles auf Anhieb geklappt!

Ich habe einen Compaq Prolinea mit 486/66, 24MB und SuSE Linux 5.3.
Er dient als ISDN-Router für ein kleines Windows-NT Netzwerk. Die
ISDN-Karte ist eine Creatix PnP.

Eigentlich funktioniert alles. Ich kann von jedem Rechner aus den Router

und Adressen im Internet anpingen. Ich kann auch auf jedem Client
längere
Zeit im Internet surfen und Daten runterladen.

Nur leider stüzt Linux regelmäßig, wenn ich größere Dateien per FTP
runterlade (so ab ca 3MB) ohne irgendeine Fehlermeldung ab. Das
bedeutet,
Linux reagiert nicht mehr auf die Maus, es reagiert nicht
mehr auf die Tastatur und auf dem Bildschirm tut sich auch nichts mehr,
außer daß der Cursor ganznormal weiterblinkt.Über das Netzwerk ist der
Rechner dann auch nicht mehr zu erreichen. Das einzige was dann noch
hilft,
ist der Netz-Schalter.
Leider kenne ich mich mit Linux noch nicht so gut aus und weiß
deshalb nicht, in welchen Log-Dateien ich etwas über das Problem meines
Routers finden könnte.

Ich wäre dankbar für alle Ideen und Hinweise
Felix

------------------------------

From: Oded Arbel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: fastest video card supported by redhat 5.2?
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 23:39:05 +0200

dan wrote:

> does anybody know which supported card is the fastest for
> x applications(graphics)
> thanks,

  I think that the RivaTNT I use is realy fast.. unlike most cards I
heard about, this one is just a litle slower in X-Windows then in win95,
and it is definetly blazing fast.
Oded

------------------------------

From: Eric Sokolowsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP DeskJet 8xx: Linux Compatible?
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 14:44:00 -0700

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Allen Flick wrote:

> Am at work, so I can't remember the full number of my
> "Windows" printer at home, but I've installed RH5.2 Linux
> at home and can't seem to be able to print to the darn thing.
>
> Like I said, it states on it's label that it's a Windows
> Printer.  And, I found out weeks after I bought the thing
> that Best Buy had such a good price on it because it was
> being discontinued. Ahhhhhh, but I was too naive to ask,
> and the blasted salesman sure wasn't going to mess up a
> sale of the discontinued beast.

You probably have the 820.  I used to think that there was no way
to use this printer with Linux, but I read something somewhere that
indicated that you could get a ppa driver for it.  Sorry, but I
don't know any more about it.

I almost got the 820 when I was looking at printers a couple of years
ago, but reconsidered (because I also didn't want to get stuck with
a printer that would only work under Windows), and got a 870Cse instead.
I have been very happy with it.  I understand that the 870 has been replaced
by the 890, which is faster, cheaper, and prints in higher quality.  The
870 (and I assume the 890) is supported under Linux.

------------------------------

From: Nicholas Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How good is the TNT in linux? (was Re: Drivers for Riva TNT)
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 21:39:36 +0000

Dan Nguyen wrote:

> XFree86 3.3.3 has support for the Riva TNT (although work does need to
> be done on it)

How good would you say it is at the moment?  Change it handle something
like
enlightment and multiple windows?  Particularily with further
development of
the server unknown, is it a worthly investment for linux use? Or is it
simply
better to stay with the tried and test matrox chipsets for linux
preformance?

Thanks,
Nicholas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: RedHat 5.2 - Modem Issues
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 14:52:40 GMT

[posted & mailed]

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (AIMSX) writes:

>I am using RH 5.2 on my Compaq Presario, and I was wondering if anyone has had
>any problems using the Compaq Presario K56-DF modem?  If anyone could e-mail me
>with information on compatibility issues, I would be very grateful.

This is a WinModem, and will not work outside of Win9* at all.
For details, check DejaNews. Sorry, but you'll have to buy an
external modem if you want to use the Presario with Linux .

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: "Ken McCord" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SIS video board - Yes, Supported in XFree86 3.3.3
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 09:41:41 -0500

Daniel Reeders wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Dear Rangel & other 'SiSsies' :-) ,
>
>Most of the SiS chips are supported in the 'new' release of XFree86,
version
>3.3.3.  Support is native in the XSVGA server.  Your AGP chip is almost
>certainly supported - probably it's the 5597/5998?
>
>The Red Hat 5.2 release of Linux doesn't have XFree86 3.3.3, so you'll have
>to download it either as RPM's (ftp://rawhide.redhat.com/) or in binary
>format from an XFree86 ftp mirror.
>
>For more (technical) information about the driver, contact Xavier Ducoin or
>Alan Hourihane - look them up on the XFree86 website, www.xfree86.org.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Daniel Reeders.

<snip>

Sis 62326, 5597/98 chipsets are supported with XFree86 3.3.2, using a
special XServer from SuSE (it's this server that's included in 3.3.3).  Do a
DejaNews search for my installation instructions posted last month.  If you
also have on-board sound using the CMI8330, I have an installation how-to
posted as well in December.

Ken McCord

------------------------------

From: Mark Griskey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: New Hardware Resource
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 22:32:29 +0000

Hi All.   I recently built a new computer to exclusivly run Linux.  This
machine is for my desktop.
In doing so I wanted to find hardware that
would work really well under Linux.  I found a lot of good resources,
but not many comments from users who were actually using the hardware.
>From this, I started LinuxHardware.net.  The idea is to have a place
where someone can submit information about a particuliar piece of
hardware and information/comments about your Linux system.  I figure it
can help both veterans and newbies alike.

The site is now live, and I am the only one who has submitted
anything. Please stop by and add something if you have the chance.  The
site is still under some construction and I still have a few things to
work on, but nothing major.

Thanks

-Mark

http://www.linuxhardware.net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jerry Lapham)
Subject: Re: Internal K56Flex/V.90 internal modems
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 23:54:29 -0500

In <775o4s$nur$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 01/08/99
   at 08:00 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carlos Wexler) said:

> Any comments on the Cardinal Connecta 56K X2 D/F Modem (V.90 flash
> Upgradable) ??

> It says that it will work with a 386, so it is definitly not a
> winmodem... The question is: how good it is?

Works fine here under OS/2.  Most connnections on my lines at 48000 bps or
better using X2.

    -Jerry
Jerry Lapham, Monroe, OH
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Written Friday, January 08, 1999 - 11:54 PM (EST)
MR/2 Ice tag:  THINK or THWIM

------------------------------

From: "Ken McCord" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 18:47:12 -0500

Here's a repost of my instructions from December...

OK, here goes...

This solution works with XFree86 version 3.3.2 and with Sis 5597/5598/6326
chipsets.  XFree86 3.3.3 does support these chipsets natively, so you'll
probably only want to follow these instructions until some of the bugs are
fixed in 3.3.3  (Note - I don't have any personal experience yet with 3.3.3,
I'm only going by what I've seen from other posters - No flames please).
The SiS drivers in 3.3.3 are in the SVGA server.

1) Install the following XFree86 packages (I used RH rpms):
   XFree86-3.3.2.3-25
   XFree86-3.3.2.3-25-libs
   XFree86-3.3.2.3-25-75dpi-fonts (or 100dpi, depending on your monitor)

2) Install the following XFCom packages:
   ftp://ftp.suse.com/suse_update/X/XFCom/xsis/xsis.rpm
   ftp://ftp.suse.com/suse_update/X/XFCom/xsuseconfig.tgz

3) Run the xf86config included with xsuseconfig.  Answer the prompts for
mouse, keyboard and monitor specs.  Look at the card database when prompted.
SiS chipsets are listed from 405 to 408.  Select your chipset and then
choose option 5 to use the XFCom_Sis server.  Set the symbolic links.
Answer how much memory is assigned to video (this should be the same figure
from BIOS setup).  Set your video modes as necessary.  Write to
/etc/XF86Config.

4) Start X.

Note that if you select no video modes for a certain resolution (say 8 bit),
you will get a viewport error when starting X.  Edit /etc/XF86Config and
comment out the appropriate resolution.  Save and try starting X again.

Good luck!

Ken

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Henrik Karlsson)
Subject: Support for Montego?
Date: 10 Jan 1999 00:04:28 GMT

Does Linux support the TB Montego soundcard yet?

--
/H

------------------------------

From: Shane Bearham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SIS video board
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 04:28:58 +1100

Rangel Reale wrote:

> I have some new Pentium II computer, which came with a AGP on-board video
> board made by SiS.
> Someone knows if it is supported in X? Is it some other common chipset, or
> is a proprietary one?
>
> []s
> Rangel Reale

a chip Number would make it somewhat easier to assertain you problem
If you don't know which one the write them all down...we should be able to
figure
from there ok

shane ()

--
| Xtreme Systems Technologies  \  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |

  4:26am  up 6 days,  1:19, 12 users,  load average: 0.13, 0.24, 0.25