From: "Matt Goheen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help with Lucent/Orinoco WaveLan IEEE 802.11 Turbo 11Mb Silver, RH 6.1,
kernel 2.2.14....
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 16:11:18 GMT

It doesn't work.  I've tried LOTS of stuff.  The basic failure at this point
is
that when I run test_network in the debug_tools directory of card services,
I get:

PCMCIA network settings are coming from /etc/pcmcia/network.opts.
  /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 also exists??

Checking network interface eth2 (wavelan2_cs driver):

  Kernel messages for eth2:
  eth2: Transmit timeout.
  eth2: Transmit timeout.

  Current ifconfig settings:
  eth2      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:60:1D:1E:91:2B
            inet addr:192.168.2.1  Bcast:192.168.2.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
            collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
            Interrupt:9 Base address:0x400

 Your default route is pointed to interface eth1.

  The interface is configured and running.
  There hasn't been any traffic on this interface!

  Enter a numeric IP address to ping: 192.168.2.2

  Pinging 192.168.2.2 ...timed out!
  The device interrupt does not seem to be incrementing normally.

I get a message (as seen above) in the kernel messages file:    eth2:
Transmit timeout.

I have two other Ethernet cards in this machine, running IPMASQ.  I have
turned off all
ipchains rules during testing.

Any ideas????  Anyone?

If you email a reply, use "iname" in place of "noname" in the address!!!

Thanks,
        Matt Goheen

====================
Configuration:

    Lucent/Orinoco WaveLan IEEE 802.11 Turbo 11Mb Silver (firmware 6.06)
    SCM "swapbox" ISA PCMCIA adapter
    RedHat 6.1
    Linux kernel 2.2.14
    pcmcia-cs-3.1.21
    wavelan2_cs 6.05BETA (also tried 6.02 and wvlan_cs that came with
cs-3.1.21)

/proc/interrupts:
  0:   24573544          XT-PIC  timer
  1:       1773          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  5:       5851          XT-PIC  i91u
  9:          0          XT-PIC  wavelan2_cs
 10:     593405          XT-PIC  eth1
 11:     782725          XT-PIC  eth0
 13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
 14:     376490          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:          7          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0

/var/log/messages excerpts:
Oct 18 08:28:16 linux kernel: Linux PCMCIA Card Services 3.1.21
Oct 18 08:28:16 linux kernel:   kernel build: 2.2.14 #19 Sat Oct 14 01:25:25
EDT 2000
Oct 18 08:28:16 linux kernel:   options:  [pci] [apm] [pnp]
Oct 18 08:28:16 linux kernel: PCI routing table version 1.0 at 0xfdee0
Oct 18 08:28:16 linux kernel: PnP: PNP BIOS installation structure at
0xc00fc110
Oct 18 08:28:16 linux kernel: PnP: PNP BIOS version 1.0, entry at
f0000:c138, dseg at f0000
Oct 18 08:28:16 linux kernel: Intel PCIC probe:
Oct 18 08:28:16 linux kernel:   Vadem VG-469 rev 00 ISA-to-PCMCIA at port
0x3e0 ofs 0x00
Oct 18 08:28:16 linux kernel:     host opts [0]: [ext mode] [isa buf]
Oct 18 08:28:16 linux kernel:     host opts [1]: [ext mode] [isa buf]
Oct 18 08:28:16 linux kernel:     ISA irqs (default) = 9 polling interval =
1000 ms
Oct 18 08:28:16 linux kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x1000-0x17ff: clean.
Oct 18 08:28:16 linux kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0400-0x04ff: clean.
Oct 18 08:28:16 linux kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0a00-0x0aff: clean.
Oct 18 08:28:17 linux kernel: cs: memory probe 0x0d0000-0x0dffff: clean.
Oct 18 08:28:17 linux kernel: eth2: WaveLAN/IEEE, io_addr 0x400, irq 9,
mac_address 00:60:1D:1E:91:2B
Oct 18 08:28:16 linux cardmgr[10672]: starting, version is 3.1.21
Oct 18 08:28:16 linux cardmgr[10672]: watching 2 sockets
Oct 18 08:28:17 linux cardmgr[10672]: initializing socket 1
Oct 18 08:28:17 linux cardmgr[10672]: socket 1: Lucent Technologies
WaveLAN/IEEE
Oct 18 08:28:17 linux cardmgr[10672]: executing: 'modprobe wavelan2_cs
port_type
=3 network_name=Wireless'

Running test_setup (in debug_tools):
Current kernel: 2.2.14 #19 Sat Oct 14 01:25:25 EDT 2000
Module info from /lib/modules/2.2.14/pcmcia/pcmcia_core.o:
  Linux PCMCIA Card Services 3.1.21
  kernel build: 2.2.14 #19 Sat Oct 14 01:25:25 EDT 2000

Startup options from /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia:
  PCMCIA=yes
  PCIC=i82365
  PCIC_OPTS=
  CORE_OPTS=

Checking current syslog files in /var/log:
  All PCMCIA messages are in /var/log/messages.

Module status:
  The PCMCIA kernel modules are loaded correctly.

Daemon status:
  cardmgr is running (process 10672)

Current socket status from /var/lib/pcmcia/stab:
  Socket 0: empty
  Socket 1: Lucent Technologies WaveLAN/IEEE
  1     network wavelan2_cs     0       eth2

ifconfig eth2
eth2      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:60:1D:1E:91:2B
          inet addr:192.168.2.1  Bcast:192.168.2.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:9 Base address:0x400

route:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
192.168.1.1     *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 eth0
255.255.255.255 *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 eth0
192.168.2.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth2
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
24.xx.xx.0      *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth1
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
default         roc-24-xx-xx-xx 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth1

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Help: can't mount /dev/hda8
Date: 18 Oct 2000 12:10:25 -0400

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply!    Since partition id 0x05 is extended
and partition id 0x0F is for win95 Extended (LBA), that means I have
to enable LBA mode or something?  Do I need to change /dev/hda1 id
from 0x0b to corresponding LBA entry 0x0c as well?  Oh, probably the
partitions inside  cylinder 1024 don't need to have LBA, while
partitions outside do?  Please help me clarify this.  Thanks,

--
- Pankaj

             "Great ideas are like internet domain names, the ones
              I get are already taken up by Knuth, Neumann, Turing
              and the likes....."

From: Lee Zimmerman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP DeskJet 720C
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:13:57 -0700

Alex,

I might be able to point you in the right direction...

In Red Hat Linux the "printtool" includes drivers for lots of HP printers.
What I don't know is if printtool and it's associated drivers are part of the
common linux distribution or unique to Red Hat. Anyway, the HP720 is a
"winprinter" which means that it uses the host CPU and the Windows OS to do
most of it's processing. It also means that it doesn't speak the normal HP PCL
(printer control language). These printers use a protocol called 'PPA.' This
is not all bad though - RH7 (what I'm running while I type this so the only
thing I can check) includes input filters for lpr that work with these
printers. So if you can find an input filter for a DeskJet 710/720, 810 or
1000 it should work (these are the PPA printers I find listed in my input
filter selection list).

Hope this helps,

Lee Zimmerman

------------------------------

From: Edward Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Sound Card Suggestions
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:52:07 -0700

"David N. Haney" wrote:

> Linux Sound Gurus:
>
> I have Linux running on 2 separate computers, and the single component
> that does not work on either is SOUND.  On one computer I have
> a YAMAHA OPL3-SAX board.  Since "pnpdump" recognizes it, I would think
> it would work, but no luck.  On the other computer (Compaq) there
> is an on motherboard sound that is ESS 1968 (I think).  While there
> are many ESS versions supported, this one does not seem to be one
> of them.

Not sure about ESS 1968.  Are you sure is not 1868, 1938 or 1978?

I had the following sound chips in some computer working at least once.
The number is either PNP ID or PCI ID

Creative Lab: CTL0070 CTL00F0
Avance Logic: ALS0007 ALS0100 ALS0110 ALS0120
Crystal Semi: CSC4242 CSC4235 CSC0b36
ESS Tech: ESS1868 ESS1938 ESS1978
CMI Tech: CMI8330 CMI8738

These and some other drivers are available at http://linnix..com.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Castle)
Subject: Re: ATA-66?
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 11:35:21 -0500

In article <8sir4r$7ki$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Mark Dickie  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi, I have been using Linux for some time now always with Mandrake.  Now I
>have an Fujitsu MPE3084AE which does ATA-66 and comes up in the bios and in
>Linux 2.2 as an udma 66 drive.  Thing is tho I upgraded to 2.4 kernel and
>the drive is now reported as a udma 33 in the kernel but still 66 in bios.
>When I use hdparm -X66 /dev/hdb (My Linux drive is slave, can't get rid of
>good old BeOS) the drive runs fine at that speed.  What do I have to do to
>get ATA-66 to work?  Are there any patches to the kernel.
>
>I'm using Mandrake 7.1 and kernel 2.4.0-test9

Check www.linux-ide.org.

Also, might look in the kernel source as well.

Sometimes Andre will specifically disable certain drives from going 66 just
because they lie about what they can do, or they turn out to really not
work at those rates.  Not sure if your drive falls into either of those
categories, but wouldn't hurt to check.

mrc
--
       Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  and be right all the time, or not work at all

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lucas Tam)
Crossposted-To: rec.photo.digital
Subject: Re: Linux and digital camera
Date: 18 Oct 2000 12:12:01 -0500

Hmmm, I hate to say it, but if you don't know how to change permissions in
Linux, you maybe better off using ummmm... Windows : (

Linux is good for what it does, but often times requires lots patience and
experience.

cracker@$$$$redhotant.com (Ali) wrote in

------------------------------

From: "Jukka Liimatta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.graphics.api.opengl,comp.graphics.packages.3dstudio
Subject: Re: PIII vs Athlon
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 20:14:46 +0300

> I would go for the Athlon b/c it's cheaper.

Just read today: AMD announced ~50% pricecut, again, for their processors.
For example the price of 1Ghz Athlon was sliced 46%, to $3xx from $5xx.

MUCH cheaper. =)

Jukka

------------------------------

From: "Chris Ripp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux compatible PCMCIA card reader recommendations
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 11:19:23 -0500

If you're needing to *use* PCMCIA cards as opposed to just reading
memory/drive cards, you're probably going to have to rule out the
SCSI/IDE/Parallel, etc. options.  All of them I've seen on those interfaces
are strictly 'card reader' devices.  I know there are others, Linksys makes
(used to make?) an ISA-based PCMCIA controller, which might show up as such
under Linux.  I've got one stuck in my desk drawer (couldn't use it because
it took up motherboard resources I needed.)

Post back to the group if you find something that works!

news:TV9H5.20084$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Chris Ripp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 11:22:59 -0500

"Ali" <cracker@$$$$redhotant.com> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Joe User wrote in message ...
> >Do you check permissions to open the serial port? By default only root
can
> >open the serial port.
> BTW how do i change permissions?

If you've got the camera plugged into 'Com 1'
as root:
]# cd /dev
]# chmod ugo+rwx ttyS0

and that should about do it.

gPhoto is really a decent app, needs a little polishing, but it gets the job
done on my Agfa 1680 at least!

------------------------------

From: "Chris Ripp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ISA boards with kernel 2.2.x
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 11:26:00 -0500

"CAZ'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:01c0387e$ad38f600$010101c0@caz...
> How can I use install and configure those cards:
> -Yamaha OPL3SAx ISA soundboard

If you have Red Hat, run 'sndconfig' as root and pick the card from the
list, play with the values until it works (if it isn't automatically picked
up.) If the OPL listing doesn't work, see if it'll work as a SB16 or SB Pro
card.

> -3Com 3C509b ISA network adapter ?

Should just be a matter of 'modprobe 3c509'  If that doesn't work you may
have it set for different IO/IRQ values which you'll need to pass to
modprobe

Then edit /etc/modules.conf with the following
alias eth0 3c509 <options>

and be sure to run 'netconfig' (on RedHat if you're there) to set up the
right addresses.

From: Xeno Campanoli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SuSE 7.0 and 3Com 3c509b
Date: 18 Oct 2000 10:21:28 -0600

Hey, I also got a copy of msdos.img from a friend to run 3C5X9CFG.EXE.  It
failed with a run-time error R6003 - integer divide by zero.  I tried it two
different ways and it failed the same way.

Xeno Campanoli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Lawrence Houston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: : Xeno Campanoli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: : : I'm having 100% problems with all my modems and NICs I'm trying to use with
: : : S.u.S.E. 7.0.  The one I want to work on first is a machine I've got with two
: : : 3c509b's in it.  It doesn't see either card.  I've tried making sure the Kernel
: : : compiles with the modules available and then I go through the howto sequence
: : : for compiling and configuring, but still, no eth0 comes up in dmesg.  I'm still
: : : whacking away at it, but I hope somebody knows of something fundamental I might
: : : be doing wrong.  Thanks for any feedback.  Sincerely, Xeno Campanoli.

: : The 509B is PnP ISA Card, therefore under Linux it is recommended to diable
: : PnP using 3COM's DOS Utility.

: : --

: : Lawrence Houston  -  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

: I don't have any dos machines here, so I haven't been able to run this except
: on xdos, where it fails to see any card installed (I can quote you the
: diagnostic if you want).  The name of the one I've got is 3C5X9CFG.EXE.  I
: also have 3c5x9utils and tried running /usr/sbin/3c5x9 -p addr on two of the
: cards I've got.  I can change the IRQ, but I haven't figured out how to disable
: PNP.  There doesn't seem to be a relavent switch, or I'm just not seeing it.

: There was also a question of conflicts with the USB ports?  This is a fairly
: new box, and there are only two ISA slots, the rest being PCI and a funny gray
: one for the video card.

: I also just ran el3-diag, and it also says:

:       No ISA Ethernet III boards appear to be in the machine

: Yet, I can set the IRQ with 3c5x9 from the same 3c5x9utils-1.0-1.rpm

: Any suggestions anyone?

: Any feedback is welcome.  Sincerely, Xeno
: --
: Xeno Campanoli (erstwhile Xeno Whitenack, and Rick Burgess)
: Email:        [EMAIL PROTECTED]     (Web pages:  http://www.aa.net/~xeno)

From: Billy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:19:41 -0400

Well, I might agree with you, but he needs to start
somewhere.  I don't know if I'd just randomly go 777'ing
stuff, but since it's his box, he can break it if he wants.
Besides, the more people figure out that unix isn't for
the faint of heart, the easier it is to justify big
salaries.

Besides, just wait till he discovers chown and kill -9,
then he'll be able to shoot himself in the foot in
grand style!

--
-Billy

------------------------------

From: "pl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 17:22:56 GMT

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pnm2ppa/

------------------------------

From: Billy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.photo.digital
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:27:12 -0400

Awwww come on.  Let's break this guy in right.  Use the
numbers.

chmod 777 ttyS0

That way he won't get confused by user/owner/world
abbrev's used by other unix systems.
--
-Billy

------------------------------

From: Jim Chisholm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config
Subject: Re: Is Creative CDRW RW8433E ATAPI compatible with Cdrecord?
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 14:29:18 -0300

Dr Aldo Medina wrote:

> I use RH 6.2 with updates, and own a Creative CDRw (IDE). However I
> can't make it work with Linux (it works fine with other OS). I tried
> recompiling my kernel using SCSI support, SCSI emulation, but it isn't
> recognized by linux. Cdrecord -scanbus (1.8.1) gives "no such file or
> directory. Cannot open SCSI driver"
>
> Should I choose some SCSI type, or maybe some thing must be modules or
> should be integrated in kernel?. Where can I find more information about
> this (using an IDE CDRW with linux)? Is my CDRW even compatible? (it's
> not specified in CDrecord page, but it's ATAPI IDE and should be ok).
>
> lsmod gives nothing.
> TIA
> --
> Linux User #98419         -o)    | Message: Bad or missing mouse.
> http://counter.li.org      /\    | Spank the cat? (Y/N)
> Si quieres ayudarme,      _\_v   |
> ponme de referencia al           |
> inscribirte a www.puntosclub.com |

Hi Aldo..
Depending on your motherboard you may have to enable whatever scsi
features may be lurking in your bios.. I recently had the same problem
with
an ASUS P3V4X and enabling scsi in the bios fixed it up. I also have
better luck compiling scsi support & emulation directly into the kernel,
not as a module.
Obviously, make sure you've got the appropriate cdrom support compiled
in as well..

Good luck

Jim

Jim

Jim Chisholm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Dalhousie University, Dept. Physics Halifax N.S. Canada
Halifax Regional Fire and Emergency Service
Captain & Training Officer  Bay Road Station 59

From: Markus Kossmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 18:41:54 +0200

Get pnm2ppa ( from http://sourceforge.net/projects/pnm2ppa/ )

--
Markus Kossmann

From: Mark Dickie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 18:55:56 +0100

Mike Castle wrote:

> In article <8sir4r$7ki$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Mark Dickie  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Hi, I have been using Linux for some time now always with Mandrake.  Now
> >I have an Fujitsu MPE3084AE which does ATA-66 and comes up in the bios
> >and in
> >Linux 2.2 as an udma 66 drive.  Thing is tho I upgraded to 2.4 kernel and
> >the drive is now reported as a udma 33 in the kernel but still 66 in
> >bios. When I use hdparm -X66 /dev/hdb (My Linux drive is slave, can't get
> >rid of
> >good old BeOS) the drive runs fine at that speed.  What do I have to do
> >get ATA-66 to work?  Are there any patches to the kernel.
> >
> >I'm using Mandrake 7.1 and kernel 2.4.0-test9
>
> Check www.linux-ide.org.
>
> Also, might look in the kernel source as well.
>
> Sometimes Andre will specifically disable certain drives from going 66
> just because they lie about what they can do, or they turn out to really
> not
> work at those rates.  Not sure if your drive falls into either of those
> categories, but wouldn't hurt to check.
>
> mrc

I've compiled the kernel with all of the dma options and the specific
support for my VIA board.  The system run fine before I upgraded the
kernel.  The drive access times were much faster etc.  Problem is I need
2.4 for it's DRI drivers as I do alot of rendering.  I'm just hoping
someone can point me in the direction of a patch.  In the meantime I'm
gonna look at the source and see if I can change it myself.

Thank's everyone
==============
Mark Dickie
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ#82716937

------------------------------

From: Dusty Bin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: looking for external scsi hard disk to go with adaptec aha1542cp
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 18:53:56 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, M. Buchenrieder
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
[...]
>Actually, you could burn a new BIOS for the Aha1542 card using the
>BIOS file available at the Adaptec website (you'll need access to
>an EPROM burner, though).
I'm sure that when I spoke to Adaptec some time ago, I was told that
there was no way to go above 8.4Gb - int 13 issue, or something like
that.

> A decent PCI card with a NCR or
>Symbios chipset shouldn't be that expensive anymore (they are sold
>for roughly USD 50.-- in various outlet stores).
Or, if you need an ISA card, I think the AHA1520B will work with larger
drives.
--
Dusty Bin