Actually, Exchange interacts quite well with other OSes or
mail systems. It supports X400/SMTP for mail delivery,
and POP3/LDAP/IMAP in general (and MAPI, of course).

It also supports POP3 and IMAP over SSL (as well as LDAP).

I hate to say it, but it's a good product (even when
not compared to normal MS standards).