On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 11:09:59PM +0300, Gilboa Davara wrote:

> Actually you are correct (here I get myself crucified) but hear me out.
> I spent years of work on NT internal APIs (The the IBM OS2 APIs that
> share the same design) and the design itself is *very* impressive.

Where is it documented? maybe we'll learn something.

> Even with the 2.6 NPTL (The Native Posix Thread Library, already out
> with the RedHat 9), the Windows NT/2K/XP/2K3 has better security and
> scheduling (Though performance is impressive)

Sorry, but NPTL has little to do with scheduling[1] and less with
security. NPTL is a threading library[2], and the term is used
affectionately to also refer to Ingo Molnar's kernel threading
improvements and futexes support[3].

I've been reading about schedulers lately[4]. I wonder why do you
consider the Windows shceduler better?

[1] All kernels supporting NPTL also use the O(1) scheduler. Maybe
that's what you had in mind?
[2] http://people.redhat.com/drepper/nptl-design.pdf
[3] See http://www.linux.org.uk/~ajh/ols2002_proceedings.pdf.gz, Rusty
Russell's "Fuss, Futexes and Furwocks: Fast Userlevel Locking in
Linux", page 479.
[4] Uresh Vahalia's Unix Internals: The New Frontiers. Recommended.
--
Muli Ben-Yehuda
http://www.mulix.org