Actually you are correct (here I get myself crucified) but hear me out.
I spent years of work on NT internal APIs (The the IBM OS2 APIs that
share the same design) and the design itself is *very* impressive.
Even with the 2.6 NPTL (The Native Posix Thread Library, already out
with the RedHat 9), the Windows NT/2K/XP/2K3 has better security and
scheduling (Though performance is impressive)

*However*, the implementation is lacking (and I'm being polite here) at
best. The software is bloated, buggy, unstable and, well, bloated again.

WDM may prove to be an amazing approach to writing device drivers... but
it's doesn't help much if your machine BSOD every two days.

In short, the Win32API is impressive... but the OSs that use it are
*not*. (Again being polite and all)

Oh... and the NT/2K/XP TCP stack truly, *truly*, (really) suck.
I've got no idea who'll be mad enough to run network servers on Windows
NT/2K/XP/2K3.

Oh... having spent some time with MS developers... well, serious
professionals is not the word I was looking for. Baboons maybe?

Take care,
Gilboa Davara
XML - Systems Israel.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]