Since the Linux for masses issue is up again, here's my little food for thought:

What's wrong with the situation as it is?

What's wrong with Linux not being in every home? Why do we care if our grandmother pays for her operating system?

There are, of course, a few things that I would like to have changed. For example:

* M$ Word documents being a common way to distribute papers. But that's wrong even in itself, since Word isn't even self-compatible across versions.
* Young computer fans not knowing about Linux, thus missing their opportunity to get a good environment to learn from.
* Lack of drivers for some hardware.

More, anyone? Can we be focused on the things we want changed, rather than making other people miserable by convincing them to install an OS that they can't handle?

As for the moral wrongdoing of software not being free: Please spend a day watching BBC World, and convince yourselves that there are more acute problems to be solved. Let's take our own issues in proportion.

And if you don't agree with the "can't handle" thing, please pick any random family member, and let him or her try using Linux *without* your assistance. Connect to the internet (kppp, wasn't that obvious?), manipulate some images (gimp, everyone would have guessed) or whatever.

Keep in mind: If Linux, or to be more precise, the main distros of Linux, will be aimed for "everyone", they will also be adapted to that level. Which means that we'll all find a paperclip helper in Openoffice very soon.

Eli