On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 19:43, Beni Cherniavsky wrote:
> Gilboa Davara wrote on 2003-06-24:
>
> > On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 15:55, Beni Cherniavsky wrote:
> >
> > > Let me doubt the Captian being a programmer :-).  I stipulate that the
> > > percent of programmers exposed to unix is much higher than the percent
> > > of users exposed to them.  I'd guess that more than half of all
> > > programmers in the world have written something for unix in their life
> > > (God bless the universities ;).  Granted, this depends on the
> > > definition of "developer", I don't mean people after 3-month courses.
> >
> > But the percentage is getting lower and lower.
>
> I wasn't aware of that, but then I never checked any real data.  I do
> see that the number of open-source programmers is constantly
> increasing.

Funny enough... I know a lot of programmers with brain the size of small
planet (AKA not me) that write children stuff using VB/C# at work... and
the only way for them to survive mentally is to participate in open
projects. Go Microsoft!

> > My guess it that in general close to 80% of the programmers getting out
> > to the workforce today, will 'do' java/C#/VB most of their professional
> > life...
>
> "Do" is less important.  I will 'do' these things if I'm forced too
> (well, except VB ;) but I'll run away at the first opportunity.  The
> more he makes me use them, the faster I'll run away!  And I will try
> to import my favorite tools into any given environment,
> DJGPP/cygwin/jython style.

cygwin can't do ole/com/com+/dcom/activex/non-activex/really-active-x
can it? :-)
Ever tried using the VC's active X code designer? (that automated
thingie that writes stupid ActiveX code for you) I know a man who almost
committed suicide cause of it... (Well, in his case it's wasn't a great
loss if he would have succeeded...)

> > and with "design" (YUCK!) tools getting better and better, most
> > developers are on their way to become (Winders only) apes. (And stupid
> > ones. Heck, I heard some big chief from a big company a couple of weeks
> > ago stating that "you can't write 'real' servers in C [C++?]... only
> > in... wait... it's coming... VB.ant!" I pity the man working under this
> > wastebasket)
> >
> Paul Graham's essays, in particular `Beating the Averages`__ argue
> that this chief and his company will lose.  A person not working under
> such a "wastebasket" will outperform his programmers, strongly enough
> that sooner or later he will lose.  He is not releveant because with
> such attitudes, he will not design the future.  Writing linux programs
> is easier than writing equivallent windows programs, so in the long
> run linux will define the future.  No matter how big is MicroSoft's
> momentum, once linux passes a certain threshold, there is only one
> long-run result: MS will lose.  Yes, I'm optimistic.

So am I.
MS has managed to make every possible mistake. Europe (gasp) is riding
the anti-U.S. wave into Linus' hands. The U.S is riding the anti-MS wave
going the same direction.

Only in Israel, people, I mean so-called computer experts are proud of
never touching a non-MS product... Oh well, who said we're the chosen
people?

> __ http://www.paulgraham.com/avg.html
>
> > > Now, do you remember your feeling when you had to use some MS
> > > develoment tool (no matter which)?  Compare that to the feeling of
> > > using any linux development tool.  There is precisely one reason for
> > > Unix's outstanding success: it's an OS created by hackers, for
> > > hackers.  And it's almost perfect for them.  MS can't compete with
> > > that, no matter how hard it tries.
> >
> > Actually, I'm using GDB/DDD as I write this and I just wish someone
> > would port the text mode Watcom debugger (DOS/Win/OS2) to Linux :-)
> > Hey... But that's me...
> >
> Well, it's notable that you hunger for a text-mode debugger ;-).  And
> that it's not written by MS.  I've never used Watcom products but I
> heard they were popular with hackers.

Best debugger I ever used.
OS symbols out of the box, assembly, good release mode debugging,
hardware breakpoints... you name it.

> My point is that developers are the last concern about GNU/Linux's
> future because they are the ones who brought it to be.

My point: In the world. But in Israel you still tell a fellow developer
that you don't do Windows and he faints on the spot. (Or worse, asks you
if you can run VB.something on it!)

Gilboa