Hey,
Inorder to answer you, I need some more inputs from you.

1) Which product of Vmware are you talking about? Is it ESX ? or Workstation,GSX,Server?
2) You've mentioned 1GB->2GB... Do you want to extend existing VM of 1GB to span accross 2GB ?
Is it acceptable for you to perform  an offline migration or other VM changes?

- J.