2008/12/9 Oron Peled <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Every file? As someone using OpenOffice.org since before 1.x days
> it looks a bit overestimated.

I exaggerated. But my professors still send files in Word with
complex, unneeded formating that OOo 3 cannot handle. They use
Mathtype, too, which even normal Word cannot read. I have asked them
time and again for PDFs. Their answer is that the university
(Technion) proves MS Windows and Office for free to my faculty.

> Have you tried OpenOffice.org 3.x? Can you file relevant
> bugs and attach sample documents? I know I would vote for them.

I will start filing incompatibility bugs with OOo. Would you like me
to CC you the bug numbers?

>> Wasn't there support of development by a government agency
>> discussed once? What became of that?
>
> Wine is an important project (IMO). But it is only a bandaid for
> people who use (or are forced to use) proprietary software.
>
> Moreover, even proprietary vendors may write portable
> software (eliminating the need for wine). The abundance
> of portable libraries and frameworks not only make it a reality
> but even a good business choice (e.g: Qt).
>
> IMO, government funding is better spent in *solving* the problem
> instead of providing temporary workaround. In this sense, the partial
> funding of OOo is infinitely better than helping wine.

So long as MSO is so prevailent, Wine is a necessary evil. But I do
agree that government intervention is not the answer.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü