On Wednesday 10 June 2009 13:01:27 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > 1. I personally maintain my sites as mostly static HTML content that is
> > generated from templates and uploaded to the site using rsync. If you're
> > not using rsync or something - you should. See its -a option too.
>
> I use a ehader.inc and footer.inc file for consistent layout across
> the site, and include them with PHP. The rest of the page can be
> either static or dynamic, as per the need.

That's not a bad solution. My template is more sophisticated than just
including a static HTML header and footer, and also customises the navigation
menu, the breadcrumbs trail, etc. based on the current location. So if you're
under "software/" then the "Software sub-menu will be expanded.

> > 2. Watch for spam. I told about a spam incident here:
>
> ++correct
>
> > 4. Make sure all the important pages of the site (including features)
> > contains links to the central pages with navigation menu, etc. That way,
> > you'll have better page rank and people who stumble upon them will visit
> > more pages.
>
> ++correct
>
> > 5. I put a script on shlomifish.org (without the /) that just says that
> > there's nothing there, and refers people to the link.
>
> Use an automatic redirect. You get the google benefit, without
> confusing users. Actually, I redirect www.* to * to keep the URL that
> much shorter.

I had a lot of bad experience with Google and redirects. It doesn't seem to
work very well.

Besides, this is not a redirect. I don't want any links to shlomifish.org -
only to http://www.shlomifish.org/ . As a result, I'm trying prevent people
from linking to sf.org without the www.

> > 6. Make sure you have a blog or otherwise feed of what's new on the site.
> > Use a version control system or history tracker to announce the new
> > items.
>
> RSS was designed for this. It does a great job. But don't give the
> user a choice between RSS 2.0, RSS 0.92, Atom *.* and twenty other
> feed types. Pick one, I don't care which.

I maintain my web-site's blog on LiveJournal which takes care of generating
web-feeds for me. There are other blog services, and you can always host your
own blog using MovableType, WordPress, or whatever.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish