On Monday 15 June 2009 13:11:44 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> >> Yes, that's a 301. What do you mean by "no luck"?
> >
> > It didn't help. Google eventually lost the page rank for the old domain
> > before the redirect and I had to slowly regain it.
>
> The only thing that you could have done here was to make sure that
> there was a redirect long before the old domain went cold.

I did. But it didn't help. Did you mean "long after"?

> > Not people - mostly bots:
> >
> > {{{
> > 64.34.195.145 - - [07/May/2009:07:12:18 +0300] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 694
> > "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.2.1; aggregator:Spinn3r
> > (Spinn3r 3.0); http://spinn3r.com/robot) Gecko/20021130" VLOG=-
> > }}}
> >
> > Most of the lines there are like this.
>
> Unless they get real annoying, I treat bots as users. At least they
> are honest enough to not forge an IE UA.

Yes, and I don't want bots to find anything on sf.org except for a link to
www.shlomifish.org. As far as I'm concerned sf.org should not exist.

> >> Then port your livejournal RSS feed onto your sf.org domain.
> >
> > I already have it included as the main page:
> >
> > http://www.shlomifish.org/
> >
> > With older items on the old news page:
> >
> > http://www.shlomifish.org/old-news.html
>
> Very good, and I see that you have an RSS feed as well. But get rid of
> the Atom feed! What is it there for? Do users really need to make that
> choice? Why don't you give them a choice of HTML 4.1 or XHTML 1.0 for
> the pages as well?

Some people prefer Atom, and some clients only support RSS. Most people can
make either choice reasonably (or they are not aware of the web-feeds
technology at all). LiveJournal.com gives me both, so I point to both of them.

> > I suppose I can also mirror the feed itself on http://www.shlomifish.org/
> > . I'll implement this suggestion when I'm in the mood.
>
> No, you _don't_ want different content on www.sf.org as on sf.org!
> Either serve the same content (and thus have the pagerank divided
> between two pages) or 301 one to the other.

I want only http://www.shlomifish.org/ to exist. I want nothing on sf.org, and
so far it seems to work. I don't get many hits to sf.org.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish