On 11/12/2012 12:51 PM, Nadav Har'El wrote:
On Mon, Nov 12, 2012, Elazar Leibovich wrote about "Re: Is forbidding concurrent ssh sessions a good idea?":
While I can certainly see what's broken with it for using a regular
computer, whose stability I do not value much, and while there are
difficulties this may cause, do you see anything specific that will break
in the use case of a production server?
Let me offer another completely different idea, without any kills and
similar tricks: End your ~/.profile with "screen -R -D"

What will this do?

The login shell will start screen(1), and let the admin work in it.
If another admin logs in, he doesn't just kill the existing session - he
also takes over the existing instance of "screen", and can see what the
other admin was in the middle of doing.
+1 for screen, but maybe without the kill stuff. If there is a screen session going on, spring-up a new user session with a MOD notification, this way the admin can coordinate killing his colleague or working simultaneously, if the job permits.

This "screen" will also allow the admin to have multiple screens - which
you prevent him from doing with several separate sshs, so he'll
appreciate "screen" anyway.

If you don't know screen(1), I suggest you learn it - it is an
absolutely wonderful tool.