My favorite lightweight DEs are:
1) LxQT: really lightweight (system requirement is 128MB RAM) but some
features are missing.
2) Mate or Xfce: Require 512MB of RAM but have all the features.

As for distros, I suggest arch or debian-unstable. They don't install
anything extra (i.e. If you didn't install it, it's probably not there :) )

Shay Gover