On Tue, Oct 17, 2023 at 11:18:23AM -0500, Lucas De Marchi wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 17, 2023 at 05:45:39PM +0200, Michal Suchánek wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > it has been a few months since these kmod patches have been posted, and
> > a new kmod versio has been released since.
> >
> > Is there any interest in adding this to kmod?
>
> yes, but I think the main drag is deciding with the kernel build system
> maintainers what they are willing to accept as an interface. There isn't
> much point in exporting a json config if from the kernel side they would
> rather use something else. Or to use pkg-config.
>
> I confess I lost track of that discussion. Did that settle with
> pkg-config being the preferred solution?

The current discussion about the kernel side can be found here:

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-kbuild/20231017151050.gj6...@kitsune.suse.cz/T/#t

My impression is that pkg-config is accepted as an interface on the
basis that it's already required for building the kernel while jq is
currently required only for some additional optional tools.

Thanks

Michal