IMHO, the best is to get the latest firmware licensed is the best
thing to do.

Does that "new" xc5000c come with a firmware pre-loaded already?

I've got firmware here that is indicated as being for the xc5300 (i.e.
0x14b4).  That said, I am not sure if it's the same as the original
5000c firmware.  Definitely makes sense to do an I2C dump and compare
the firmware images since using the wrong firmware can damage the
part.

I'm not against an additional #define for the 0x14b4 part ID, but it
shouldn't be accepted upstream until we have corresponding firmware
and have seen the tuner working.  Do you have digital signal lock
working with this device under Linux and the issue is strictly with
part identification?

I just finished extraction of firmware for xc5000c.
By the way found one even for xc4000/4100.
xc5000c matches by size, signatures, but I have not tested it on a hardware.
xc4000/4100 matches only by a beginning signature, but should be ok. Have not
tested it on a hardware too.
files:
http://beholder.ru/bb/download/file.php?id=868
http://beholder.ru/bb/download/file.php?id=869
How to extract it yourself:
Again, you have to download zipped file from
http://beholder.ru/files/drv_v5510.zip
Unpack beholder.bin from it, and then use that commands to extract firmware:
dd if=beholder.bin  bs=1 skip=27663 count=16497
of=latest-dvb-fe-xc5000c-0.6.30.5.fw
dd if=beholder.bin  bs=1 skip=1718 count=13567
of=unconfirmed-dvb-fe-xc4000-xc4100-1.04.26.fw

Best regards.