On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 02:23:17PM +0100, Ulf Hansson wrote:
> On 21 December 2015 at 13:51, Russell King - ARM Linux
> <li...@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 01:35:36PM +0100, Ulf Hansson wrote:
> >> I decided to try to apply it for my next branch, to get some good test
> >> coverage. Although, it failed when reaching patch 8. Would you mind
> >> posting yet another new re-based version, please.
> >
> > Given that these are _fixes_ and need to be applied to -rc kernels, they
> > are based on -rc6.  I don't see the point of rebasing them onto non-rc
> > kernels to test, because then you're not testing against where they
> > should be applied.
>
> I see your point, but I would rather not aim for rcs with these
> changes, unless you insist.
>
> Not because they aren't fixes, but because it's old errors. Instead we
> can "cc stable" or use the fixes tag as we are in quite late stage of
> the rc. This approach will also allow us to get a bit better test
> coverage.

Even if we do this, we still need to get _these_ tested because _these_
will be the ones which need to be applied to stable trees such as the
4.4 stable series.

What I suggest is applying them against -rc6, and then merging them
into your -next branch, and fixing the resulting conflicts.  We then
have the patches ready for -rc, but which can still be tested in -next
(for what that's worth.)  If people find problems, they can always
re-test these patches without all the development stuff.

If I were to give you a set of patches suitable just for -next, then
people can only test with all the development stuff included, and we'll
have no idea whether any new problems are the result of development or
these patches.

--
RMK's Patch system: http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/patches/
according to speedtest.net.