All,

I am hoping someone can help with the following scenario:

- Dosemu 1.4
- Ubuntu 7.10
- TightVNC with java webserver
- DOS based accounting package using Btrieve 5 database

I wish to run a DOS based accounting package on dosemu with client access to it
using VNC.  I have had encouraging successes but the file locking issue still
comes up sometimes.

The accounting package uses a Btrieve 5 database.  When I start several dosemu
sessions using the same user all running the same accounting software, I get
good perfomance with only an occasional crash due to file locking/sharing
clashes.

If I share the directory containing the software using SMB then mount it using
CIFS:

sudo mount -t cifs //server/share /other_location -o
username=xxxxxxx,password=xxxxxxx

then I also get the software to run properly although I have not been able to
test whether this eliminates the occasional crashes I get without this method.

I want to start different VNC sessions using different usernames and have them
access the software.  All these users are members of a group which has
read/write access to the directory which contains the accounting software and
which is lredir'd in the autoexec.bat.

I have a script that starts VNC sessions like:

su -c "vncserver :x" - user1
su -c "vncserver :y" - user2

However, when I run sessions with these different usernames accessing the CIFS
mounted directory lredir'd in dosemu I get Btrieve error 14 (pre-image open
error)  when the software tries to access the data files.  This is related to
the .pre files that Btrieve creates and it appears a .pre file created by one
user cannot be accessed by another, which is essential!

Does anyone have any advice or recommended settings for enabling whatever
oplock or  other locking mechanism is required for this to work correctly?  I
notice several  posts which say they have got record locking working using CIFS
with SAMBA but  no-one gives specifc smb.conf or CIFS settings for this.

Regards,
Tarquin Adams

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
21:22