Claudia, thank you for your response.

I think I have now identified the cause of my problem.  When a user creates a
file in dosemu, the permissions are set as 'read and write' for that user but
'read only' for their group and all other users.  Hence when my software tries
to access a .pre file to append data to, it finds it is 'read only' for any
user other than the first one to have run the software.

How can I force all files created in dosemu to be 'read and write' for all
users?

Regards,
Tarquin Adams

Checked by AVG Free Edition.