As Reinhard write, it is cups problem.
In "/etc/cups/mime.convs" you must uncomment line:

application/octet-stream       application/vnd.cups-raw        0       -

Line in "/etc/cups/mime.types":

application/octet-stream

should be uncommented too (althought not necessary when You specify
"-l" lpr switch - equivalent of "-o raw")

Franta Hanzlik

Victor Warner wrote:

Thank you for the reply.

The (real) printer is a pcl/postscript printer (although a LexMark, I
used a HPLJ Color 4500 printer driver). And in DOS/Wordperfect I set up
a postscript printer driver for HPLJ Color 4500)

I set up another machine in exactly the same way as the problem machine,
and have no problem in printing . On the problem machine the cups
error.log produces the following entries:

"I [29/Jan/2008:09:20:01 +0000] Default destination set to 'HPLJ4500' by
'root'.
E [29/Jan/2008:09:20:12 +0000] print_job: Unsupported format
'application/vnd.cups-raw'!
I [29/Jan/2008:09:20:12 +0000] Hint: Do you have the raw file printing
rules enabled?"

Is something missing from the Dosemu setup or in CUPS?
Victor Warner

application/octet-stream