On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 11:46 AM, Linus Torvalds
<torva...@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> The fact that people add extra code to make things extra wrong is
> annoying.

Side note: the key handling extra checks seem pretty pointless too.

There's no reason to have those "some time formats allow 60 seconds,
some don't".

So instead of that whole "max_seconds" complication depending on
exactly which time format you happened to use, just allow xx:xx:60
unconditionally.Same goes for 24:00:00.

Just let it go. The *reason* for the bugs that those commit fix was
that the code was overly anal to begin with. The fix is not to make it
EVEN MORE ANAL. No, the fix is to just say "ok, we allow the extra
second at the end".

So just allow "24" in the hours field, and allow "60" in the minutes field.

And you know what? If somebody decides that they want to have a key
that says it was done at some nonsensical time like 24:30:60, just let
it go. Just accept it. It's not your problem.

I'd like to point out how time64() has always allowed those things,
and nobody has *ever* complained. In fact, exactly because it allowed
those things, it gets the leap second right *without* the broken patch
you had.

There's a fine line between "be careful" and "be anal". One of those
is good. The other one is not.

And those patches generally crossed that line.

                 Linus