IMHO this and other questions as such scream out for
a welcome to linux heres the basics of unix commands
thru to more complicated stuff book, hopefully that
Rute manual acheives this, maybe all 'newbies' should
be pointed here before they start installing linux :-)

p.s. about the dir thing ;-)

  alias dir='ls -al'

jeremyb.