> Hi all,
>
> I thought that was a realy good thing Andrew Tarr did with the Directory
> Structure.

Yes, thanks Andrew.

> What I found most frustrating at first was getting to grips with the
> acronyms. Dir for directory was obvious, but in Linux it was called ls.
>
> It was some time and several books later I discovered it stood for LiSt
> files!! Now if someone had told me that at the beginning, I'd have
> remembered it no trouble.

Now this I like, someone who actually went out and read a book or a
tutorial on the net and worked something out for himself. Yes, some of
the command line commands have very short and cryptic names. Remember
they were probably developed on teletype machines or terminals running
at 1200 baud (or less?) by people who used the command line all day
every day. hence tr=translate, cp=copy, mv=move, ls=list,  Now where the
hell did they get awk, glob & grep from?

You'll get used to it. I regularly type ls in dos boxes now, only to be
told "Bad command or file name"

> Similarly, pwd - Print Working Directory. Obvious what it does when you
> know what it stands for.
>
> I see some having trouble with the email acronyms, such as AFAIK, IMHO,
> IIRC, ROTFL and so on. This really was a bad habit generated by one finger
> typists (IMHO!). What does it really take to write "In my humble opinion"
> "As far as I know" "If I remember correctly" "Rolling on the floor
> laughing"? Or at least "In my HO" to give a clue?

These have nothing to do with linux, you will encounter them in every
newsgroup,  mailing list and web forum on the net. It is extremely easy
to find or guess what they mean. They reduce the amount of traffic on
the list (a bit). You might change the odd person's habits, but you
aren't going to change the rest of the world, better to learn a frew
acronyms, you'll need 'em elsewhere.

--
Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>