>> These are not linux group acronyms, but internet acronyms, used
 >> widely throughout the online community.
 >
 > Have to use these to show that one is 'with it'. The computer users
 > equivalent to dark sun glasses, whatever the conditions, to show
 > that you're 'cool, man'.
That's a little on the cynical side, it's all just jargon and while it
takes a bit to pick up I don't think it's any more exclusive than the
jargon of any other "group". When was the last time you heard
"Escherichia coli" called that instead of "E. Coli" or "Delta-9
TetraHydroCannabinol" called that instead of "THC"?

Given the option between "BTW" and "by the way" in an online environment
I'll take the first one, not to exclude anyone but because I'm thinking
"BTW" already. If you think these are hard to pick up try txt msgs (text
messages) some time, or any forum aimed at someone aged under 15. :-)

Phil.