On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 11:41:27AM +1200, John Blance wrote:
> And LDAP is not a fast database - it may seem like one, but it strickly
> is just the method of accessing the 'fast database'

Define database :-)

Part of the semantic problem here is that LDAP is just a protocol, and
does not actually describe the data storage mechanisms - although it
implies a 'directory' type of database.

Often the term 'database' is used as being equivalent to 'relational'
data storage, which is another type of storage mechanish - albeit the
more prevalent form, because it's very flexible. SQL is a very flexible
language that is often used to get data in and out of a relational
database.

LDAP can be used as a front-end to a relational db, but directory storage
mechanisms are tuned to tree-traversal retrievals. The whole thing is
optimised for fast read access, and writes are often difficult, and
relatively slow.

Relational databases, on the other hand, are structured
so that writes are pretty efficient, and the management system will
undertake a lot of work over and above the data itself in order to
facilitate fast retrieval (i.e. it will maintain indexes - some
explicitly placed by the designer, and some implicit in the RDBMS
itself)

So, you could use a relational database to maintain your
rapidly-changing data, and then parcel it out to an LDAP for retrieval.
One of the headaches with large LDAP installs is that you often want to
have several 'read-only' LDAP servers, but only one writeable. Once your
updates have been committed to the writer (an example of rdbms-language
there :-) ) it may take a significant (=non-instant) time before your
changes have replicated out to the front-end readers.

All of which is gloriously out of scope for anyone with less than a
couple of hundred servers :-) and a source of problems for those whose
networks grow, without taking the initial design hit of expecting
sufficuent growth! Or the opposite - where the network was designed to
cope with the marketing department's expectations, but real demand is a
fraction of expectations ... then such large layers of servers are an
active hinderance.

And as a final hit - DNS is an example of a working directory service
that doesn't use LDAP :-) Unless you're Dan Bernstein, that is ...

-jim