yuri wrote:

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:02:07 +1300, Roger Searle wrote:

I'm getting angry just reading your email. I don't have any broadband
options at my place (Yaldhurst / West Melton).

I live at the other end of Roger's street here in rural West Melton. Within the next few weeks I'm going to call out the wirelessweb people to check signal at my property.

Roger, have you investigated this?

I ought to have said "affordable and practical" broadband options. I was very interested in the info from the wireless web guy at the clug meeting late last year. 2 things stopped me from proceeding - the main one being that when I am in another part of the country (several times a year) I would have no internet access of my own. With Paradise I can dial up anywhere (though have to use a different number in Wellywood). The second consideration being having to change email adddress.

I'd be interested to hear how good your signal strength is though.

a second phone line installed for $400 (no way - when I was a few km
down the road in Papanui the cost was $99).

There should be two pairs in the cable from your house to the street already.
Unless your house is very very old.

It's only 20 years or so old, the wire is there. My last place was about 70 years old. The worst thing about the conversation with Telecom about a second line, after hearing excuses about the shortage of lines out this way and them needing to keep lines for "future growth" (clearly a reference to someone else, not me!), went something like this:

"And the good news, Mr Searle, is that if you ever decide to disconnect your second line, then reconnect it again in the future, the cost will only be $50." I really really really don't like Telecom... And Robert, I know how you feel.

Cheers,
Roger