On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, david merriman wrote:

I want to get a new CV/Resume written, and being a bit of a geek I'm not being that good at self-promotion ;-) , so I'd like a little help doing this. Does anyone have any recommendations for companies that produce good 'technical' CV's for IT personnel (programmers in particular) ?

You need to change your self image for awhile.

Your self image is that of "Geek", but when you haven't got a job, have have got a job.

Salesman.

You're a salesman of a single, big ticket item.

Yourself.

So for now lose the "Geek" self image and think of yourself as a "Salesman" for a rather pricey item.

As a Geek you would never say, "I can't do tech X", you would say I would love to learn to do tech X. I'm going to sit down and work at it until I can.

So you've got a job. Get to it. Sit down and get to work and learn to sell yourself.

Once you have sold yourself, you can shuck off that skin and get back to being a comfortable Geek.

On the other hand, keep some of the old Salesman personality around, you never know when you are going to need him again to sell your great idea to management, convince a big customer that your tech is best, ....

PO Box 1645 Christchurch                Email : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
New Zealand

Carter's Clarification of Murphy's Law.

From this principle, all of life and physics may be deduced.