On 9/21/05, yuri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 20/09/05, Christopher Sawtell wrote:
> My sound has suddenly disappeared and I have
> absolutely no idea why.

Mine did that once.
Try "removing" your soundcard altogether in your distro's "Add/Remove
hardware" tool, reboot, disable it in the bios and boot into your
distro, reboot, re-enable it in your bios and boot into your distro
(if your distro doesn't autodetect new hardware on booting, re-add it
in your "Add/Remove hardware" tool)  and reboot. *whew*
Yes, it's a windowsy type solution but it worked for me.

If you are using alsa I've found rerunning alsaconf fixes it too. Your better to run it from whatever pressing ctrl+alt+f1 is called while logged out than while logged into a gui tho, as some things that need sound (ie volume control) will die and ask to be reloaded.

--Slosh

** WARNING to mailing list repliers **
Gmail over-rides "Reply-To:" field. Check your "To:" address before
sending reply to this post.