On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 6:38 PM, Aidan Gauland
<wgsil...@no8wireless.co.nz>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Are there any motherboard manufacturers who usually make motherboards that
> work well with Linux, or any that Linux users should avoid?
>
> Also, should I just disregard notices like this one?
> "Due to different Linux support condition provided by chipset vendors,
> please download Linux driver from chipset vendors' website or 3rd party
> website."
>
> Thanks,
> Aidan

Generally linux driver support is provided by linux itself, and the lack of
appropriate drivers is usually a sign of vendors being difficult and
releasing proprietary drivers.

For example, Nvidia, ATI, you need to download drivers from their providers
because the alternatives reek at present in the video department, for
northbridge/southbridge its generally in-kernel these days.

Simply avoiding a motherboard manufacturer on linux compliance is IMO not a
reasonable notion these days, its usually a case of specifics, not general
manufacturers. IE: What chipsets they use, what bios they have, etc, and you
should look up these specifics and discern how supported they are.

Foxconn for example had a nasty problem where they produced a broken ACPI
specification to Linux users causing the machine to fail to boot : (
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=871311  )

But theres no way to know about that sort of rubbish until you find somebody
who has that specific model and has had problems with it.

--
Kent

perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA nocomil.i...@tfrken\", \$_ * 3, 3 )
for ( 9,8,0,7,1,6,5,4,3,2 );