> Do you use Arch yourself?
> And if so, for how long?

Long time listener, etc...

I've used it for at least a year on my eee 701. I run minimal install
with no window manager. Openbox with manual 'startx', and all programs
on keybinds, with feh to set background, conky and htop/ntop for
stats.

Uptime shows ~18s with everything going, and boots into ~45meg of ram.

It takes a good day to install if you haven't used /etc/rc.* files
before, and weeks of occasional tinkering, but the customise is worth
the effort. Arch makes no assumptions. It forces you to custom build
for your environment, and it pays off. My 900mhz (underclocked to
630mhz by factory default), boots fast, performs fast (considered
package selection helps also (ie. abiword/gnumeric over openoffice, or
kazehakase/midori/some chromium variant over firefox). It does
whatever you build it to do, and gives incredible satisfaction from
that.

Pacman (package management) is a tar.gz package manager written in C.
It's fast, and a very shallow learning curve away from apt-get for the
average ubuntu user. The rolling release model is a trade-off for
stability (I use debian lenny on my server), but not installing fresh
or having to deal with an apt-get dist-upgrade is nice (perhaps it has
improved since I've used it, but a system upgrade will always be
messy).

It's made command line fun for me. And being able to use vi, at least
a little bit, definitely helps on a foreign system, or when you don't
have a display or a mouse...

--
Chris Darby