On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Ryan McCoskrie
<ryan.mccosk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay there have been a few misunderstandings about what I meant in my
> original post on this thread. After some thinking I believe that I can clarify
> myself properly
> On Sat, 29 May 2010 13:02:30 you wrote:
>> Are there any desktop centered distros whose primary aim is to have as few
>> surprises as possible for people who are already accustomed to Linux?
>>
> By accustomed to Linux I mean that this user is more comfortable with Linux
> than any other system but not necessarily a power user.
>
>> I just want a very generic distro.
>>
> By generic I don't just mean desktop centered with no paradigm shifting
> technologies. I mean a system that aims to have as few original contributions
> as possible

what do you mean "as few original contributions as possible" - do you
mean you want a distro without any special tools that are designed
just for that distro, by the distro maker?

If so, ubuntu won't do you as they innovate quite a bit, as does
fedora, as does suse. That comes of having a bunch of paid
developers[1] sitting there developing, innovating and differentiating
their distros. And at times their developments get taken up by other
distros. eg REDHAT package manager is used by a lot of distros besides
Redhat, upstart was developed by Canonical but is now also used by
Fedora and others.

If you want a very generic system with no distro centered addons then
you perhaps don't want a distro at all, because they all try to
differentiate themselves in some way with some new 'feature'.

If I still misunderstood what you are after then please explain again.

> and have a complete out-of-the-box set of programs (GUI and CLI)
> that one would expect out of a Linux based system.
>
> P.S: I know that you can set a root password on Ubuntu but I seam to remember
> other things being dropped because they're of no use to granny.

You don't need a root password. Ubuntu proves that.

> P.P.S: We're lucky here but there is still need for DVD based systems for
> those without broadband. I was running Fedora without internet any connection
> at all from mid 2006 to the start of 2008.

[1] OK so fedora's paid developers really work for redhat.