Okay there have been a few misunderstandings about what I meant in my
original post on this thread. After some thinking I believe that I can clarify
myself properly
On Sat, 29 May 2010 13:02:30 you wrote:
> Are there any desktop centered distros whose primary aim is to have as few
> surprises as possible for people who are already accustomed to Linux?

By accustomed to Linux I mean that this user is more comfortable with Linux
than any other system but not necessarily a power user.

> I just want a very generic distro.

By generic I don't just mean desktop centered with no paradigm shifting
technologies. I mean a system that aims to have as few original contributions
as possible and have a complete out-of-the-box set of programs (GUI and CLI)
that one would expect out of a Linux based system.

P.S: I know that you can set a root password on Ubuntu but I seam to remember
other things being dropped because they're of no use to granny.

P.P.S: We're lucky here but there is still need for DVD based systems for
those without broadband. I was running Fedora without internet any connection
at all from mid 2006 to the start of 2008.