I think it's a good idea.

Are you thinking of it as an educational tool, or something more like a
shell script generator from a GUI?

I had a brief look around freshmeat.net and didn't see anything like
this. It may be that given the familiarity with the use of the command
line by Linux user, such a tool is not needed. Or it may be that nobody
thought of it before.

I have to say I've seen and worked with plenty of graphical tools to
generate process flow and data flow from basic elements, with or without
a target or specific language to generate the task in, but all had a
specific purpose. Never seen something so close to the operating system
as to use command line components.

It may be that you have uncovered something here.