Christopher Sawtell wrote, On 07/20/2010 04:15 PM:
Remember that the replacement should be free of $$$ cost and
installation be available on Linux, Windows, and Mac O/S X. It _must_
be as simple to install as falling off the proverbial log, so Dear Old
Aunt Tilly can make it go.

Honest, I'm all for a more acceptable replacement if something else is
both available and as easy to install and use.

So - do you expect your Aunt Tilly can do her own plumbing when a tap leaks? No - she calls a plumber.

Personally I like solutions that work as expected. If your Aunt Tilly needs a voip phone, I want to configure it once and never again.

As long as she knows how to dial, she'll be okay. (and that was hard converting her from a ducatic pulse dial to a keypad)

So back to the original question from John
Phone --> VOIP
TV   --> media centre thing
Family Photo shoebox --> digital photo frame

Any data storage that you care about (photos etc).... raid plus backup plus offsite backup.

--
Craig Falconer