On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Christopher Sawtell <csawt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20 July 2010 08:50, C. Falconer <cfalco...@totalteam.co.nz> wrote:
>> No no no!   Skype is evil and nasty and CLOSED.
>
> Apart from the fact that it is proprietary software, what is "evil and
> nasty" about it?
> to spite my face. I have four proprietary packages on my Linux
> machine, Skype, Java, Adobe flash and acroread, simply because it is
> impossible to function in the connected world without them.

Java is (now) open sourced, and I haven't come across a need for PDF
reading that Evince failed for, or for writing that OpenOffice.org
failed for.

I do have Adobe Flash, and Skype. I use Flash for entertainment
(mostly flash games from Kongregate, and for youtube/vimeo/etc for
video, HTML5 notwithstanding) and Skype because customers & family
want it.

Skype's big advantage is the size of the existing userbase, and the
ease of use. If it was wonderfully easy to use but no-one else was on
their network, there would be no point. I would expect that most
people are using Skype because "it is free" (obviously there's data
usage costs, but that's common to SIP too), because "it's easy to
use", and "ooh, look, you can do video!".

> works pretty well for me on a Telstra Cable connection. It's also
> fully encrypted.

Because it's proprietary closed source, you can't make that argument.
The best you can say is that you can't figure out how the audio is
represented in flight. It's possible that the data stream is properly
encrypted, however there are numerous governments who have made
comments that they are able to eavesdrop on Skype conversations --
it's unlikely that they are all inaccurate statements.

> I tried running GnomeMeeting / Eikga a while ago, but it never worked
> reliably. and required a proxy in the firewall. The firewall was, and

Skype is a significantly better implementation of "just work within
the network resources available" than most SIP solutions, because the
ease of use of the software directly impacts on the revenues of the
parent compay (i.e. if it works fine, some people will buy value-add
services like Skype Out). This is not a common proposition for Open
Source software, which is part of the main useability differences
between the "closed" and "open" world (obviously, not all of the
differences).

BTW, I switched from a Linux edge firewall to pfSense a couple of
weeks ago, and all my "tested as working just fine" SIP connections
were dead the next day; I wasted a day trying to fix the situation,
adding firewall rules, running proxies, everything. Eventually calmed
down and realised that the problem was "just" a relatively short state
table timeout on the firewall. Now I run multiple SIP devices talking
to multiple servers with no special NAT considerations (especially, no
STUN, proxy or incoming rules) and everything is fine.
Skype of course worked perfectly the whole time, probably because
Skype is using more of my network resources than SIP is, just to stay
online. Luckily it seems as if that's such a small portion of my
available network resource that it doesn't cause a problem.

So, is Skype "evil and nasty"? It's evil philosophically because the
communications protocol is closed, and to a lesser extent because the
client implementation is closed. It's nasty because it is very greedy
with your network resources compared to other solutions that provide
the same user experience. However, is it too "evil and nasty" to use?
For me, no. It's bad, but not bad enough to stop using it yet. If
there were an Open Source alternative, that provided the same
functionality with a similar-enough user experience, I would stop
using it and promote the alternative. But SIP voice telephones are not
the same. SIP video would be great, but it's not the
protocol/implementations that are the problem here (see Linphone for
example) but the need to choose a proxy or voip operator that is a
step too far for "Aunt Tilly". Less choice is anathema for us, but
necessary for them.

-jim