On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 08:00:07AM -0500, Jeremy Nelson wrote:
> The new math parser was first written about 7 years ago and hasn't had
> any significant changes for 2 years, despite rather signficant use by
> several scripts.  So it's stable.
>
> It hasn't been turned on by default because it's not backwards compatable
> (natch), and some people have depended upon the bugs in the old math
> parser.  However, it has always been expected we would flip the two, and
> the new math parser would be the default and you'd have to /xdebug old_math
> to get the old math parser.
>
> It seems that this might be the time to do this change-over.  This means
> that going forward, epic5 scripts need to be new_math compatable.
>
> Does anyone have any comments they'd like to make about this before it
> happens?
>
> Jeremy

IMHO, this change is long overdue. The new_math parser is far superior and
really is perfectly stable. As I mentioned in my last post to the list, this
is EPIC5 and we really should be making an effort to move forward. I see no
reason to continue using the old math parser considering that people who
don't want to rewrite their old scripts can simply toggle an /xdebug option
to get the old behavior. It really seems silly to hold back the client any
longer over something like this. What's the point of even calling it EPIC5
if we're not going to be making big changes like this?

--
Brian Weiss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
fudd @ EFNet

P.S. If anyone would like help rewriting their old scripts to take advantage
of the new math parser please feel free to email me or drop by #epic on EFnet.