Josh,

The ports will only add support for SOCKS5 if you define WITH_SOCKS5.
If you don't want SOCKS5 support, make sure WITH_SOCKS5 isn't defined
(be sure to check your make.conf as well).

If you DO want SOCKS5 support enabled for epic[45] via ports, you're
going to have to go through the rigamaroll you mentioned (re: finding
SOCKS5 source, etc.).  Seems the official SOCKS[45] site is quite
annoying, I'll agree.  Might try using www.filesearch.ru instead:

http://www.filesearch.ru/cgi-bin/s?q=socks5-v1.0r11.tar.gz&t=f&w=a&x=21&y

Good luck.

| Making life hard for others since 1977.                             |