On Tue, October 5, 2010 9:01 am, Phillip Pi wrote:
> Hello. I used to use old BitchX, but it is horribly outdated and has
> security holes so I am trying Epic (Client: ircII EPIC4-2.10 (Commit Id:
> 769) (Internal Version: 20080329)). I am trying to configure Epic to be
> like my old BitchX.
>
> Here are two newbie questions even after reading online help and
> Googling:
> 1. How do I change my auto away/AutoGone time values? I cannot find any
> settings for this.
> 2. How do I save my settings after changing settings like using "/set
> output_rewrite [$strftime(%H:%M:%S)] $1-" command. In BitchX, /save is
> enough into its default file. Epic seems to save into a requested
> filename (/save -all filename). Doesn't Epic have a default saved data
> file for it to load by default? If not, then how do I load settings
> manually. I don't want have to keep reloading my saved settings. :(
>
> I might have more questions later on as I learn to use Epic more.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

epic is designed to be more of a framework for scripters to build on.  By
itself out of the box, things like saving settings and auto-away etc don't
exist.  This is more true for epic5 than epic4 though, epic4 as you've
noticed does have some functionality like this (i.e. /save)

BitchX on the other hand, is like the epic client with a built-in script.
 For epic4 there are a number of good scripts that'll make your life
easier.  You can find a list of them at
http://scripts.epicsol.org/list.php

I would highly recommend Amnesiac, it's epic5 only though.  I would also
recommend LiCe, there's version for epic4 and epic5.  I am biased in
recommending LiCe though, as I currenly maintain it.

To answer your question re the epic4 built in save command.  If you put
the contents of that file into your .epicrc in your home directory, it
should do as you want (.epicrc is loaded when you first run epic)

Cheers,

Tim
tjh on EFNet