Jw, also, since your string looks a lot like a CGI value string, you might try using:

  decode-cgi

It will return a block of words and values:

  block: decode-cgi your-string

  foreach [word value] block [print [word value]]

If you DO the result, then you will set the words to the values:

  do decode-cgi your-string

  print barcode_number

That should produce a result nearly identical to what you've written below, but takes
just one line (JOL).

You can also have a look at the source code to decode-cgi to see how it uses parse and
get some ideas:

  source decode-cgi

Just a thought that came to mind...

-Carl

***Docs: we should mention some of these other parse-like functions in the parse
chapter.