Christian Montoya wrote:
Otherwise, a great solution is to stop trying to fake the standards
and just use HTML 4.01... it's clean, well-supported, and it allows
targets.

XHTML 1.0 allows the target attribute too in the Transitional DOCTYPE. Don't confuse the syntax of HTML and XHTML with the distinction between the Strict and Transitional DOCTYPEs.

Although I do agree that HTML should be used instead of XHTML for many other reasons, I think it's an exceptionally bad idea to attempt to open a new window. But, if you insist on doing so, use a Transitional DOCTYPE with the target attribute because at least that way the user can more easily configure their browser to ignore it.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/