Chris, I had exactly the same issue and this was the solution I found.

Essentially it's a  script to open all external links in a new window with a
slight modification to recognise a substring in a form tag and do likewise.
Anyway, here's the JavaScript:

// JavaScript Document
function externalLinks() {
 if (!document.getElementsByTagName) return;
 var anchors = document.getElementsByTagName("a");
 for (var i=0; i<anchors.length; i++) {
   var anchor = anchors[i];
   if (anchor.getAttribute("href") &&
       anchor.getAttribute("rel") == "external")
     anchor.target = "_blank";
 }

var forms = document.getElementsByTagName("form");
for(var i = 0; i < forms.length; i++)
 {
   var form = forms[i];
   if(form.getAttribute("id").substring(0, 6) == "paypal")
   {
      form.target = "_blank";
   }
 }
}

You'll need to put the script in the head tag or link to it:

 <script type="text/javascript" src="links.js"></script>

.... and add trigger it onload in the body tag :

After that, any link with rel="external" in the href tag or any form with
id="paypal" in the form tag will open in a new window and the code will
validate as XHTML strict.

It worked for me. Hope it helps.

I wish I could remember where I found it, but I can't. There are a few more
similar scripts out there.

Andy
Andy Woznica

Actofdesign