> Yes, using Kbytes=1000 bytes is called Puffery, used by sellers to make
> their stuff look more valuable than it is.
>
> Norm

REPLY
Not so!
It is based on the fact early computers used octal numbering instead of
the decimal number system. This was simply a mathematical convenience to
start with. Cobol and fortran used 8 bit words for coding. In fact so did
Holorith punch cards. 8 columns of holes  still fit a conventional office
card that was used in those days.
8 x 8 = 64, 1024 /8 = 128 and any of the other numbers are also divisible
by 8. 8 bits = one byte.
Newer computers went to 16 bit words then 64 bit words. Encryptions are
often 128 bit etc. Half a Gig of RAM is actually 512 bytes, divisible by 8
as well.

Just think if we had started with a hexidecimal numbering system. BUT God
gave us five fingers on each hand, so we naturally learned to count to
base ten and thus was born the decimal system. <VBG>