My responses are inline.

Regards,
Narayan

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 3:53 PM, Raine M. Ekman <ra...@iki.fi> wrote:

> Quoting Raindrops From Sky <raindrops.from...@gmail.com>:
>
> > The core issue is, *how to produce Blue notes that are so essential for
> > Jazz/Blue*.
>
> I'm pretty sure people play both blues and jazz music on pianos, which
> are even more limited than LMMS. So you could start by not writing
> things like "LMMS cannot create Jazz and Blues music".

wow- why the flame?

> > The Piano Editor does not allow us to pitch-shift individual notes.
>
> You can bend an individual note through the "detune" feature:
> https://lmms.io/documentation/1.0:Piano_Roll_Editor#Editing.

Ok I had missed this new feature. It actually provides both shifting and
bending.
But it is not a universal solution anyway (see below).

> Detuning a note doesn't work for MIDI-based plugins, i.e. Vestige, SF2
> player, OpulenZ and ZynAddSubFX. For those you only have pitch bend
> for the whole instrument at once.

OTOH, ZynAddSubFX has a pretty universal retuning mechanism, see:
> http://zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net/doc_2.html#w2
>
> You could use that for tracks that need pitches outside the 12-tone
> equal temperament. It should be quite a bit more convenient than
> separately automating every note of some pitch.
>

> > The pitch control is available at instrument level, which means any
> > constant/automated shift will apply to ALL notes produced by the
> instrument.
>
> This is the minimum level of support for pitch control, it's pretty
> much equivalent to what MIDI offers in live play. It works for
> monophonic lines, but is quite a bit more trouble to automate than
> note detuning as the automation track will be separate from the note
> segment.
>
> There's an issue filed on the tuning subject:
> https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/1387
>

> > So the solution would be to add a Pitch knob to the Song Editor, which
> will
> > allow both pitch-shifting and pitch-bending of specific notes.
>
> Wouldn't you need at least two, one to select the note and one to
> bend? Or 12, if you want to shift/bend more than one note at the same
> time?

Actually I was thinking of applying an automation track to this knob,
rather than changing its value by default.