Hi all,

I want to add a tip for Jazz/Blue music in the forthcoming version of User
Manual.

This mail is for those of you who understand Blue/Jazz music.

(*Note*: I am not into Western music at all. The following discussion is
based on what wikipedia describes. So please be patient and explain the
nuances in detail, so that I can do justice to the subject in the User
Manual.)

The core issue is, *how to produce Blue notes that are so essential for
Jazz/Blue*.

The Piano Editor does not allow us to pitch-shift individual notes.
The Song-Editor track does not have a separate knob for Pitch. Thus we
cannot automate it for a specific note.
The pitch control is available at instrument level, which means any
constant/automated shift will apply to ALL notes produced by the instrument.

So, the moot point is, with these limitations, how to create blue notes in
LMMS?

Well, one trick that occurs to me is to add another identical instrument to
the Song Editor, with its pitch lowered by the required amount.
Let's call this "worried instrument"! :)

Whenever the "main" instrument is supposed to play a worried note, the
"worried instrument" plays that same note, which *actually* sounds flat.

If the musician needs to shift different worried notes by different amount,
he will have to add more "worried instruments", each with a different pitch
shift.

(This trick is similar to what we do to produce the percussion track in BB
Editor.)

But I am not sure if this trick would produce an acceptable quality of
blue/jazz music.
We need input from a practicing musician of Blue/Jazz genre.
CAN someone confirm?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Narayan