1) output of command at: http://paste.ubuntu.com/23224929/

2) I forgot to mention that I've tried rebooting (and did again) and it has
made no difference. Also, forgot to mention in problem description that
updating the image did work 1 time a few days ago. Also didn't mention that
1-2 weeks ago i accepted the suggestion to update the HWE (at login now
says, "Your Hardware Enablement Stack (HWE) is supported until April
2019"). It changed my kernal from 3.xx to 4.4.0-38-generic and this problem
started after that. Also, I'm having an xorg problem with my login screen
showing on a dual monitor setup, partly solved it a week ago by removing
MATE...

-- Running htop in another terminal window while above command was hanging
produced output shown here: http://pasteboard.co/6YEjkwVx7.png . Seems
strange that userdel was running. As I watched, about every 15 seconds or
so it showed a different local user.

Thanks Alkis!

David