On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 4:39 PM, Alkis Georgopoulos <alk...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> awk -F: '$3>=500 && $3<=60000 { print $1; }' /etc/passwd |
>      while read user; do
>          echo "$user"
>      done
>
> If you run the above snippet on the server, it will list the local users
> that /usr/share/ltsp/cleanup.d/51-remove-users *removes* so that they
> don't show up in the chroot.
>
> (51-remove-users has a "userdel" instead of the "echo" in the script)

There were 7

> But of course it only removes them in a temporary overlay of the file
> system, i.e. they are never really deleted from the server.
>
> It appears that this takes a very long time in your case.
> The cause of the delay may be that you have a lot of local users, or
> that you're using ldap and userdel takes 15 seconds to update it instead
> of 15 msec. Or both of those issues.
>
> Let's see:
> 1) How many user accounts does that script above show?

It showed 7 local users

> 2) Also, measure the time of one deletion:
> sudo time userdel some-user-you-can-delete

To delete 1 user (with 7 total local users)
1.85user 0.12system 0:50.31elapsed 3%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata
4316maxresident)k

To delete 1 user (with 5 total local users)
1.86user 0.09system 0:35.68elapsed 5%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata
4336maxresident)k

> 3) It might also be an issue with overlayfs, if userdel doesn't take a
> lot of time in the real system.
> Can you try it with the older kernel, or did you delete it?
> (overlayfs is a kernel module for the temporary file system)

I believe I did with an autoremove.

Based on what you said and the experiments I just did I left sudo
ltsp-update-image --cleanup / running and sure enough, after it had cycled
through the (remaining) local users it did proceed as normal. While I'm not
happy about this issue--things not working properly--its urgency to solve
has decreased drastically since I see now that I *can* update the image.

Based on the output at the end of updating the image:
Removing /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/vmlinuz-3.19.0-68-generic
it appears the old kernel was 3.19.0-68.

I'm going to research downgrading the kernel. Would you recommend trying
that as the easiest/safest fix for this?

Thanks again!
David