I think what Bill may have wanted to say is that there is a whole other
dimension in lute playing than HIP - all the while being enriched, of
course, rather than constrained, by historically informed performance...
Nobody would want to revive the past simply to rehash the same old stories,
but the old stories provide a frame of reference. If that frame of
reference is native to the lute, all the better. But HIP is a means to an
end - not the end.
The widely held illusion that we can really even approach the "sound" of
old times seems to me similar to the illusion that convinced Vincenzo
Galilei that he could know what Greek theater was really like. Out of that
particular dream, modern opera was born. The current flavor of HIP is also
doing wonderful new things. And it is not the first one: Ravel and
Stravinski both wrote Baroque music - unmistakably theirs... As Baudelaire
hinted, it is mankind's curse : "Aller au fond de l'inconnu pour trouver du
nouveau" - to explore the unknown's bottomless pit in the remote hope
of  finding something new. The historically informed point of view on HIP
is that it is a child of its time: Once HIP has exhausted its novelty, what
will it become?
In other words: now that HIP is part of the curriculum, it is finally time
to start creating some music, that is both consciously of our times and
truly native to our instrument. Irony of ironies, there is not a single
lutenist of the period between 1500 and 1800 that we remember who was NOT
also a composer. To be totally HIP, todays' performers must go one step
beyond and create a new vocabulary: just as in Israel today, Biblical
Hebrew  turns out to be insufficient to cover a number of concepts very
necessary to every-day life. In order to be a poet in the old language, you
must still say something new.
So, after the HIP, welcome the HOP: historically original performance -
Well, we'll get there some day....
In the meantime, I am sure Bill had all this in mind and more -
Alain