"Alain Veylit" <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
> I am a bit lost in this thread: I don't know if there is any evidence -
> let alone convincing - that Jesus travelled to India

that rumour was brought up by the Ahmadiya sect during the 19th century.
They had him travel to the region of Cashmere (buried in Srinagar),
rather, where Ahmadiya founder Mirza Ghulam Ahmad lived (d. 1908).

> Besides, from the little I know about religion, it seems that monasticism in
> Europe was a very late development (6th or 7th century perhaps), with a
> definitely European rationale

It started with eremites in 3rd century Egypt, as I said. In 527,
Benedict of Nursia wrote his famous rule which emperor Charles the Great
(ca. 800 CE) made a general rule for all monastries in his realm (with
St Gallen as a master copy for monastic buildings).

Regards + wish you a refreshing Good Friday!

Mathias