Good gentles,

This thread brings to mind a concert in April where I was asked to provide
archlute continuo for Albinoni's D minor Oboe Concerto and Vivaldi's A minor
Cello Concerto.

I agreed, then found out to my horror a week before the concert that the
modern string orchestra numbered about 40, not including three
Double-Basses.

In the reduced sections of both, and slow movement of the the Vivaldi (which
only calls for Continuo and Solo Cello), the archlute (67/145 Harz) could be
JUST heard. Needless to say, in the fast movements and tutti sections, the
archlute was little more than an exotic visual decorative element, though
I'm told by those seated at the back and circle that at that distance, after
the sounds had blended and bounced a bit, occasional pluckings could be
heard.

Now comes a question to those of us who have to play, on occasion, with
modern instrument ensembles that do baroque music once in a while - does
anyone think a louder continuo archlute might be useful?

Just my two cents.

Edward