Martyn Hodgson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 13:57:10 +0000
(GMT)
From: Martyn Hodgson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Edlinger Lutes in South Dakota
To: Edward Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

   Thank you for this.

  Just a thought,  but the marks on the belly over and above the rose sound a
bit like the sort of marks left by a strumming guitarist.  Could it have been
used as a 'Wandervogel' lute/guitar in the early20th century? I realise it's
got many more than 6 courses but I presume they might not have felt the need to
string them all if it was just, say, a son of the house having a strum on the
old lute he found in the attic......................

  MH

Edward Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Dear ones,

I have an interesting story.

Dan Larson and I just returned from the National Museum of Music, in South
Dakota. It was an absolutely fantastic experience. They have many, many
lutes by Harton, Diefenbrouchar, Sellas, Edlinger. They also have guitars
by Stradivarius, Sellas and Voboam. Many violins by Stradivarius, Ganeri,
Amati, etc. It was unbelievable.

The museum let us have full access to the Edlingers! We examined them for
about 10 hours, and I got to hold them in the playing position, etc. They
have been examined in the 1970's by Lundberg and others. One is 76 cm
mensur, the other is 81 or 82 cm, and they were perhaps originally by
Tieffenbrucker, or perhaps a Bolognese maker. Later, they were converted
to 13 course baroque lutes by Thomas Edlinger; the longer instrument in
1724, the shorter one in 1728. The 76 cm is flat back in 11 ribs of bird's
eye maple, the 82 cm is multi ribbed yew.

What really startled me was the 76 cm lute. It is documented that these
lutes had been in a Czeck castle for hundreds of years. It appeared to me
that 2, or 3 different players used this lute. It showed heavy usage, so
it was more than likely played at a professional level. One player played
near the bridge, due to smudge & dirt marks from the fingers, as well as
the thumb. These marks were wide, and seemingly from finger marks. One
player played close to the rose , and used a long nail, as there are
multiple thin scrape marks (perhaps hundreds of these marks), from a long
right hand nail. That player even played in front of the rose, towards the
neck, on all the diapason courses! It tells me that on this particular
instrument, there were more than one player using very different
techniques. As well, they played a technique with the thumb pointed
towards the rose, as the old paintings show, but _NOT_ by the bridge.

The longer lute in yew showed patterns and evidence of it being played very
close to the bridge. The little area at the treble end of the bridge was
worn down from overuse of the pinky being planted there.

It seems that these lutes, although in possession by the same family in the
same castle, are similar in that they are both Edlinger conversions to 13
course baroque lutes with bass riders. They do appear to have had
dissimilar techniques and player positions, as evidenced by the wear on the
sound boards, suggesting that the same player did not play the 2
instruments, and the shorter one had at least 2 different players.

All in all, in was a humbling experience, to examine these masterpieces, so
close up, and to hold them in playing position. The marks I mentioned on
the shorter instrument do not show up well on photography, but are very
open & obvious to the naked eye.

ed

Edward Martin
2817 East 2nd Street