Marvelous!  Thanks for spinning your yarn, Ed.  They also hold the 1680
"Cutler-Challen" mandolino by Stradivari and a number of other interesting
early mandolins.
<http://www.usd.edu/smm/PluckedStrings/Mandolins/StradMandolin/StradMandolin.html>

At 08:11 AM 2/6/2008, Edward Martin wrote:
>I sent this to the baroque list yesterday, but I re-thought this, and I am
>also sending it to the general lute list (sorry if it offends anyone).
>
>ed
>
>Dear ones,
>
>I have an interesting story.
>
>Dan Larson and I just returned from the National Museum of Music, in South
>Dakota.  It was an absolutely fantastic experience.  They have many, many
>lutes by Harton, Diefenbrouchar, Sellas, Edlinger.  They also have guitars
>by Stradivarius, Sellas and Voboam.  Many violins by Stradivarius, Ganeri,
>Amati, etc.  It was unbelievable.
>
>The museum let us have full access to the Edlingers!  We examined them for
>about 10 hours, and I got to hold them in the playing position, etc.  They
>have been examined in the 1970's by Lundberg and others.  One is 76 cm
>mensur, the other is 81 or 82 cm, and they were perhaps originally by
>Tieffenbrucker, or perhaps a Bolognese maker.  Later, they were converted
>to 13 course baroque lutes by Thomas Edlinger;  the longer instrument in
>1724, the shorter one in 1728. The 76 cm is flat back in 11 ribs of bird's
>eye maple, the 82 cm is multi ribbed yew.
>
>What really startled me was the 76 cm lute.  It is documented that these
>lutes had been in a Czeck castle for hundreds of years.  It appeared to me
>that 2, or 3 different players used this lute.  It showed heavy usage, so
>it was more than likely played at a professional level.  One player played
>near the bridge, due to smudge & dirt marks from the fingers, as well as
>the thumb.  These marks were wide, and seemingly from finger marks.  One
>player played close to the rose , and used a long nail, as there are
>multiple thin scrape marks (perhaps hundreds of these marks), from a long
>right hand nail.  That player even played in front of the rose, towards the
>neck, on all the diapason courses! It tells me that on this particular
>instrument, there were more than one player using very different
>techniques.  As well, they played a technique with the thumb pointed
>towards the rose, as the old paintings show, but _NOT_ by the bridge.
>
>The longer lute in yew showed patterns and evidence of it being played very
>close to the bridge.  The little area at the treble end of the bridge was
>worn down from overuse of the pinky being planted there.
>
>It seems that these lutes, although in possession by the same family in the
>same castle, are similar in that they are both Edlinger conversions to 13
>course baroque lutes with bass riders.  They do appear to have had
>dissimilar techniques and player positions, as evidenced by the wear on the
>sound boards, suggesting that the same player did not play the 2
>instruments, and the shorter one had at least 2 different players.
>
>All in all, in was a humbling experience, to examine these masterpieces, so
>close up, and to hold them in playing position.  The marks I mentioned on
> [...]

Eugene C. Braig IV
Assistant Director
Ohio Sea Grant College Program,
F.T. Stone Laboratory, CLEAR, and GLAERC
The Ohio State University
Area 100 Research Center
1314 Kinnear Rd.
Columbus, OH 43212